Even decades after fluoride was first added to drinking water in many parts of the US, there is still some controversy about the potential health problems of drinking water containing fluoride.
Scientific Research? Freedom of Choice? Government Conspiracy?
Concerns about water fluoridation run the gamut.
The truth is that just about all water has some fluoride. Some fluorides occur naturally in soil, air, or water, and the levels of fluoride can vary widely. Fluoride is also found in plant and animal food sources, mainly due to the fact that animals and plants are also digesting fluoridated water.
What We Know About Fluoride
Although fluoride in toothpaste and dental treatments are considered safe by most, high levels of fluoride are known to be toxic.
However, today Fluoride is used in the public drinking water supplied to about 3 out of 4 Americans.
Chairperson of the Pacific Water Quality Association, Technical Committee, C.F. ‘Chubb’ Michaud has this to say:
When water fluoridation first started, it was about the only real source of fluoride in the diet. Most studies were done with sodium fluoride addition. Now, fluoridation is done with fluorosilicic acid and sodium silicofluoride as well. These are actually industrial waste products from the fertilizer and aluminum industries. Here are 10 interesting and well-documented facts about fluoride:
1) Ninety-seven percent of western Europe has chosen fluoride-free water.
2) Fluoride is the only chemical added to drinking water for the purpose of medication. All other additives improve quality or safety. Fluoride does neither.
3) Fluoride has minimal benefits (for tooth decay prevention) when swallowed.
4) Fluoridated water is no longer recommended for babies (formula preparation).
5) There are better ways of delivering fluoride than by adding it to water (such as direct topical application via toothpaste).
6) Ingested fluoride has many risks to the brain, thyroid, and kidneys, and is implicated in bone cancer).
7) Industrial chemicals used to fluoridate water may present unique health risks not found with naturally occurring fluoride complexes.
8) Fluoride’s benefits to teeth have been exaggerated.
9) Lower-income communities are at higher risk than the general public because they can least afford to avoid overexposure. Poorer communities show higher oral health problems and dental disfiguring from fluorosis.
10) Due to other sources, many people are being over-exposed to fluoride.
You can limit your exposure to fluoridated water with a water treatment system from Captain Solutions Water Treatment! Our systems remove fluoride as well as other potentially dangerous toxins from your family’s drinking, bathing, and cooking water.
Click here to read C.F. ‘Chubb’ Michaud full article about the dangers of Fluoride in Drinking Water.
Cancer.org Water Fluoridation and Cancer Risk
FluorideAlert.org 50 Reasons to Oppose Fluoridation