Call Today for a Free Test: 941-586-9378

20 Interesting Facts About Water

Some of these facts about water may have you re-thinking a Whole-House Water Treatment System!

Did You Know…?

  1. Roughly 70 percent of an adult’s body is made up of water. However, newborn babies punch in even more with water accounting for 78 percent of an infant’s body weight.
  2. Drinking too much water too quickly can lead to water intoxication. Water intoxication occurs when water dilutes the sodium level in the bloodstream and causes an imbalance of water in the brain. Water intoxication mostly happens during periods of strenuous performance.
  3. By the time a person feels thirsty, his or her body has lost over 1% of its total water amount.
  4. Pure water (simply hydrogen and oxygen atoms) has a neutral pH of 7; this is neither acidic nor basic.
  5. Somewhere between 70 and 75 percent of the earth’s surface is covered with water.
  6. Ninety-seven percent of the water on Earth is salt water; the water in lakes, rivers, streams, ponds, swamps, etc accounts for only 0.3 percent of the world’s fresh water. The rest is trapped in glaciers, aquifers and in the ground.
  7. There is more water in the atmosphere than in all of our rivers combined.
  8. The earth is a closed system, similar to a terrarium, meaning that it rarely loses or gains extra matter. The same water that existed on the earth millions of years ago is still present today.
  9. The total amount of water on the earth is about 326 million cubic miles of water.
  10. Approximately 400 billion gallons of water are used in the United States per day; nearly half of that is used for Thermoelectric power generation and irrigation.
  11. More than one-quarter of all bottled water comes from a municipal water supply – the same place that tap water comes from.
  12. The average person in the United States uses anywhere from 80-100 gallons of water per day. Flushing the toilet actually takes up the largest amount of this water. A running toilet can waste up to 200 gallons of water each day.
  13. Considering the average faucet releases 2 gallons of water per minute,Facts About Water you can save up to four gallons of water every morning by turning off the tap while you brush your teeth.
  14. Approximately 85 percent of U.S. residents receive their water from public water facilities. The remaining 15 percent supply their own water from private wells or other sources.
  15. The first water pipes in the U.S. were made from hollowed logs.
  16. Some 1.8 billion people worldwide drink water that is contaminated with feces.
  17. The World Health Organization recommends 2 gallons per person daily to meet the requirements of most people under most conditions; and around 5 gallons per person daily to cover basic hygiene and food hygiene needs.
  18. On average, an American resident uses about 100 gallons of water per day.
  19. On average, a European resident uses about 50 gallons of water per day.
  20. On average, a resident of sub-Saharan Africa uses 2 to 5 gallons of water per day.
Do you have any facts about water to share? We’d love to hear from you!

Be sure that your water is clean and safe with a Whole-House Water Treatment System from Captain Filtration in Sarasota!

Request Your Free Test